August 8 – 25, 2017
$ 4995 / Person
All Skill Levels
Minimum Party Size: 5
Maximum Party Size: 8
Boreal Heritage Experience
18 Day Trip Includes:
- Paddle Canada certified guides
- 3 nights in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 1 night in Red Lake, Ontario
- All transportation services (ground shuttles and float planes)
- All paddling, camping and safety equipment
- Excellent backcountry cooking
- Paddle Canada basic moving water tandem certification
The Bloodvein River, a stunning, rugged, wild river, spans over 270 km from the headwaters in northwestern Ontario’s Woodland Caribou Provincial Park to its confluence with Lake Winnipeg in northern Manitoba. Easily one of the best canoe vacation Ontario.
The landscape of the Canadian Shield, woven with bracing rapids and enchanting waterfalls, provides the perfect backdrop for one of the world’s most exciting canoe trips. Journey with us for 15 days, travelling a designated Canadian Heritage River that’s been home to the Ojibway people for hundreds of years.
We’ve created this experience to immerse you in the culture and heritage of the fur trade, and the aboriginal peoples who fuelled the engine of what was once the driving industry of western North America. When the fur trade declined, the search for gold drove hundreds to the river in a quest for riches that continues to this day.
Your adventure begins with a visit to the headwaters community of Red Lake, Ontario, where you will learn of the area’s natural and human history through experiential visits to local sites.
Once you’re on the river, enjoy world-class fishing for walleye and northern pike. The shorelines are also home to moose, black bears, wolves, beavers, martens, and one of the largest populations of Woodland Caribou in central Canada.
Before leaving, you will join Bloodvein village community members in celebrating an unforgettable sweat lodge ceremony.
As you arrive in Winnipeg, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the famous Forks Market and tour the Lower Fort Garry National Historic site before returning home.
We customize this canoe vacation Ontario for all paddling skill levels, offering the perfect blend of skill development, leisure paddling, and exciting whitewater action.
Day 1: Arrival in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Overnight at the grand historic Fort Garry Hotel while packing for your adventure.
Day 2: Shuttle to Red Lake, Ontario
- Interpretive boat tour on Red Lake includes a visit to the West Red Lake museum, pictograph site, Hudson Bay Post ruins, and a primer on the gold rush.
- Private dinner and tour hosted at Red Lake Heritage Center and Museum.
- Overnight at Red Lake’s new Super 8 hotel
Days 3-16: On the Bloodvein River
- Flight via float plane to the Artery Lake pictograph site to begin our journey.
- Paddle School to get you ready for your adventure.
- Exciting Class I and II whitewater along the way.
- Become a wilderness gourmet with campfire cooking.
- Visit the Ojibway Bloodvein community and enjoy the sweat lodge ceremony.
Days 17-18: Return to Winnipeg
- Return to Winnipeg and the Fort Garry Hotel. Refresh and shop at the Forks Market. Spa packages are available.
- Visit to Lower Fort Garry and the Hudson Bay Company Museum or the Canadian Museum of Human Rights.